Welcome to another Freedom Friday Interview! To read more about Freedom Friday Interviews, please click here.
This week I am welcoming a long time friend of mine to the blog, Heather Waxman. Heather and I have considered each other “soul sisters” for years and I couldn’t be more enthused to have her here sharing her story of freedom today!
1. I am so happy to have you on as a Freedom Friday guest! Give us a little background about yourself before we dive into the juiciness of freedom and how it applies to you and your life!
Hey beautiful! My name is Heather Waxman and I’m an Amazon-best selling author, spiritual life coach, and meditation guide. I’m a truth-seeker. Endlessly seeking truth. I love feelings and emotions and exploring them, and I love sharing spiritual practices that help highly sensitive souls like us navigate the depths of our feelings and emotions. It’s safe to say that I’m happy “all the feels” is trending right now. 😉
2. What does “freedom” mean to you?
Freedom means flowing with my emotions as opposed to drowning in them. Freedom is self-soveriegntiy. Freedom is personal power. Freedom is detachment. Freedom is seeking my own truth. Freedom is feeling my own radiance and sharing that with others. Freedom is unequivocal creative self-expression.
3. Share about the time in your life when you lacked freedom. What was your struggle?
There was a time when I lacked freedom and there continue to be times when I find myself in a struggle of personal freedom.
I was a severely codependent person. I would take responsibility for other people’s energy and other people’s actions. I would constantly think about how I could change myself to make someone else feel better. My self esteem was dependent on my ability to influence someone else’s actions.
What every single instance has in common is boxing myself into an identity that isn’t aligned with my truth. That’s why I believe truth is freedom. When I can honestly and courageously get to the heart of what is true for me, I am free. When I am trying to be something I am not, I am in chains and I am boxed into false identities.
4. What was your turning point? When did you realize that you needed to embrace freedom?
I was in energetic chains. There were several days when I would just curl up in a ball and cry in my living room. I felt paralyzed by my codependency (especially in my romantic relationship). The pain that came from that, coupled with my parents’ divorce and a lingering eating disorder…it was all too much. I hit rock bottom and knew that I needed to change.
5. How do you allow freedom into your life on a daily basis?
– My Kundalini yoga practice is currently my anchor. It grounds me. It balances my nervous system (I’m highly sensitive). It balances my chakras. it brings me back to my wholeness – my truth.
– Creativity. I’m feeling it now as I write this. And singing, too. I let go and let the music flow through me or let the words flow out of my fingers onto the keys, I feel so damn free.
– Nature. Sun, trees, the breeze. Give it to me, baby!
6. I believe our journey towards freedom never truly ends, it just continues to progress to more and more freedom. How have you challenged yourself recently to embrace more freedom into your life?
I SO agree with this and am obsessed with this question.
I’m currently in midst of the launch for my online course Dig Deeper Fly Higher. I have had moment after moment in which I’ve caught myself in the chains of control and have had to pause and pivot towards surrender. When you’ve literally done all that you can and you’ve followed every action step that God has given you, there is nothing left to do but surrender and give God space to work her magic behind the scenes. This is so freeing when you get it. But it can be hard for me. I want to take action and make shit happen. But I’m learning more deeply and intimately that there is freedom and magic in letting go and surrendering.
7. What is one golden nugget of wisdom you can provide to those who are currently struggling with embracing freedom today?
Stop chasing the high of happiness and start loving exactly where you are. Every emotion is energy in motion – it just wants to move. Let it move. Move with it. Love the totality of your human-ness. It’s what makes you who you are!
8. And before we say good bye, how can we stay connect with you over social media?
Yay! Come hang out and say hi!