I know many of you have been eagerly awaiting the first post for the #AYearOfSelfLoveProject, so I am happy to say – here it is:
(Psssst! If you are new to the #AYearOfSelfLoveProject, click here for more info)
As per the #AYearOfSelfLoveProject schedule, January is the month of mindfulness.
Our end goal is self-love and after working with countless women across the globe on this very issue, I have come to determine the number one reason so many of us never cultivate self-love despite our best efforts.
The single thing that holds you back from cultivating self-love no matter how bad you want it is how you speak to yourself.
To be honest, I had a blog post drafted up from many months ago that was titled, “The Number One Reason You Still Don’t Love Yourself” and the reason was: because you tell yourself differently.
You see, I am a firm believer as I have experienced firsthand that we believe exactly what we tell ourselves. So, even if you want to love yourself and think you’re doing all of the things to get yourself to that place, your self-talk can be the single factor holding yourself back from ever getting there.
However, we can’t just begin with self-talk. You can’t simply just flip the switch on something you are likely not even mindful of happening in the first place.
Self-talk is key for self-love, but being mindful is the first step to changing the way in which you speak to yourself, which is exactly why the first month of the #AYearOfSelfLoveProject is mindfulness.
With each new topic covered throughout the project, I will share a blog post explaining what it is and why it is part of the project. Additionally, I will ask you to complete an exercise to improve your skill within the area being covered that month. This month, you’re going to master your mindfulness.
Your Mindfulness Project:
1. I want you to find yourself a journal. It could be a journal you already have on hand or you can go out and by yourself a brand new journal that get you excited about this journey you’ve committed to – self-love.
2. Now I want you to bring your attention to that little voice who lives in your head. You know, that voice that thinks, “Oh it’s warm outside” when you step outside. Or that voice that thinks, “Ouch, that really hurt!” when you stub your toe. This is a voice within your head that is always chattering. Have you noticed it before? It is likely saying things to you automatically as soon as you step in front of the mirror, too. What does it say then? I want you to bring your focus to this voice and what it is saying to you because you are going to write it down in your new journal.
So many of us go about our days without realizing there is a voice nattering at us. We hear it, we believe everything it says, but we don’t actually take the time to realize that it is just a voice within our head saying whatever it wants to say.
For the remainder of the month, I want you to become aware of this voice. What does it say when you look in the mirror? What does it say when you get dressed in the morning? What does it say while you’re working out? What does it say while your prepping dinner? Write it all down.
1. Take a picture. Some ideas include: a picture of your new journal, a selfie with your new journal, a journal entry (if you’re feeling brave enough)
2. Post your picture to social media and use the hashtag #AYearOfSelfLoveProject and tag me: @MegTheRHN (I will be checking Instagram for your posts!)
3. If you are a blogger or have a website of your own: feel free to write a blog post on your experience throughout the month of January as we focus on mindfulness. Let me know by emailing me at email@example.com if you publish a blog post to share with your audience, so I can share it with mine, too. I would love to hear from you.
I can’t wait to see your posts and pour my love on you! I am so proud of all of you who have decided to join in on this journey with women all around the world! Please comment below with thoughts, feelings, and anything else you would like to share with our beautiful community of self-love seekers! I would love to hear from you.